Buy now pay later lets you divide your total purchase amount into several smaller, interest-free payments. At this time, Instacart uses Klarna to provide this payment service.
How it works
Payments are automatically collected every 2 weeks from your debit or credit card on file until the purchase is paid in full.
- There are no fees when you pay on time.
- Your first Klarna payment is based on the authorization total divided by 4 and is due at checkout.
- The remaining 3 payments are adjusted based on the final total of your order minus the first payment.
- For refunded items, Klarna updates the remaining balance to reflect the new refunded amount.
After you place your order, you can only add items up to the total authorization amount. However, replacements and refunds are still possible.
- After you place your order with Klarna, you won’t be able to change your tip.
- Klarna can’t be used for alcohol purchases at alcohol-only retailers.
- Klarna can’t be used to purchase prescriptions.
- Klarna may not be available for purchases at certain retailers.
- Klarna may not be available for all payment methods.
- You can’t move charges to a different payment method after placing your order with Klarna.
- Klarna orders can’t be canceled or rescheduled after we assign a shopper to the order.
- Klarna orders can’t be used with EBT SNAP.
Checking out with Klarna
- Select Klarna as a payment method in checkout
- Select Pay With Klarna
- From here, you’ll be directed to Klarna’s site to confirm your information, add a payment, and verify your payment plan
Payments and balance inquiries
Klarna places a temporary authorization hold on your bank account after you complete a purchase. It can take up to 24 hours for an authorization hold to lift after a failed or canceled Klarna purchase and up to a week to show up in your bank/financial institution.
For questions about how to make a payment, balance inquiries, or rejected purchases go to the Klarna app, visit their website at klarna.com/us/customer-service, or call (844) 552-7621.